Sunday, June 04, 2006

Five Days in Cherokee


Before arriving in Cherokee, we stayed overnight in Calhoun, GA. This little Banty Rooster was seen walking along with a couple who were staying over. They said he just adopted them and follows them around like a dog.


This was the view as we drove toward Cherokee. Had to share it with you.


We have a new addition to our RV "stuff" - our screened canopy. We're thinking bug defense!


A pretty flower I saw when we stopped for eats at Big Boys. Yes, we had a shake. Believe it or not, Big Boys was out of malt to make famous Big Boy Malts. How can that happen?!


Bonnie and I took a hike on the Oconaluftee Trail in the Smoky Mountains National Park.

Below are pics from the annual Gourd Gathering which takes place in Cherokee, NC on the Cherokee Reservation. Gourders come from all around the country to learn and share techniques as well as sell their wares. It is one of the largest gatherings in the country.





Mom working on one of her Gourd Gathering creations. Photos of her other artistic efforts to come.



Bets went river rafting on the Nantahala River. No photos, sorry. Too risky to take the camera and their "professional" one of us coming through the final rapids was too blurry. The trip started out blue skies and sunshine winding up with windy rain and cooooold! So glad I wore one of their splash jackets or I would have been the whining Texan. As it turns out, we had whining Kentuckians instead. Each boat in our entourage lost someone overboard at some point. The water is a steady 48-50 degrees so I'm ever so glad I managed to stay in the boat.

We're leaving Cherokee today going toward the Raleigh Durham area. We learned that Burt's Bees is located there and we're thinking "factory tour" and free samples!!